One day in July 2008, Poppy was found sitting in the middle of the road, just staring towards our front gate. As quite a few of you were aware, it was a horrible road. So we took her in. Our grandchildren Emily and Harry were staying with us at the time,so they named her. She had a lot of little bumps all over her head and body. A visit to the vets confirmed it was an allergy to some grass or other, and a mild dose of cortisone completely cured her. He thought her then to be about four months old.
Poppy loved people, she would launch herself at them, and end up sitting on their laps, whether or not they wanted her to or not. Poppy became one of the most beautiful of all our dogs, albeit slightly crazy!!
One evening at feeding time, she an Ellen had a slight squabble over their food, nothing major, but we immediately noticed that Poppy was acting very strangely. She became paralysed, so we rushed her off to the vet, who gave her a massive cortisone injection. We brought her home, but she didn’t improve, in fact, she was becoming worse.
She remained completely paralysed, and began to have difficulty breathing, our poor little girl was dying before our eyes. Mino phoned our vet who suggested another cortisone injection, so at midnight he went out looking for a pharmacy, the injection did not help her, so Mino took her to an emergency vet, who confirmed that she had broken her neck, and she was released from her pain.
Rest in peace our lovely crazy girl. We still miss you. 🐾🐾