Orecchiette Con Broccoli e Acciughe
Orecchiette con broccoli e acciughe (patsa with broccoli and anchovies)
- 1 large head broccoli cut into small florets
- 400g orecchiette pasta ( Orecchietta is traditionly Pugliese )
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 50g jar of anchovies in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 large red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped or 1 tsp chilli flakes
- half a lemon
- parmesan shavings to serve
Cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 3 mins, then drain, reserving the cooking water. Cook the pasta in the same water as the broccoli according to packet instructions.
Heat the oil in a pan, then fry garlic until lightly golden. Remove garlic, then set aside. Add anchovies, chilli and half a cup of pasta cooking water to the pan. Cook for 2 mins, until the liquid has reduced by half and the anchovies have broken down. Stir in the broccoli and a squeeze of lemon juice, then cook for 1 min, until the broccoli has warmed through. Drain the pasta then toss everything together. Serve scattered with parmesan.
Don’t like anchovies?
Anchovies are preserved in brine, then stored in oil or salt. Pat them with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil before cooking. If using those packed in salt, rinse well first. Or you can replace the anchovies with tinned tuna.
This article was written by Val